Current Job Postings
Social Media Manager
Job Description: The Future of Life Institute (FLI) is hiring a Social Media Manager to represent our organization across a range of social channels and enhance our online presence. The Manager will work under the close supervision of the Director of Communications and within FLI’s outreach team.
This individual will play a key role in the revamping of FLI’s communications strategy, thereby facilitating other’s engagement in existential and global catastrophic risk for good of humanity.
FLI is a non-profit working to mitigate existential and global catastrophic risks from powerful technologies, particularly artificial intelligence, through policy and outreach. Our work includes advocating for better policymaking on emerging technologies in the US and abroad, providing grants for existential risk reduction and AI safety research, running conferences, and performing public outreach.
Location(s): Remote, preferably within the time zones ET to CET but do apply if you fall outside of this range.
Hours: Full-time equivalent, flexible hours.
Contract Type: Consultancy.
Compensation: $20-$30 per hour, commensurate with experience.
- Researching, creating and posting engaging content on our social media platforms.
- Creating and managing paid social media campaigns.
- Tracking and analysing social media analytics.
- Writing FLI’s monthly newsletters.
- Identifying opportunities for FLI to reactively and proactively contribute to and influence discussions, online and offline, related to our areas of focus.
- If proficient in further languages, translating content.
- Providing general support to other members of the outreach team.
- Idealistic, self-motivated, highly organised, detail-oriented, industrious, and generally capable.
- Excited by the prospect of joining a small but very influential team looking to improve humanity’s future.
- Fluency in English; advanced writing skills are particularly important.
- An ability to work independently and quickly, with a proactive work-ethic. Physical location is largely immaterial but willingness to travel to occasional events is important. Though the social media manager will work closely with the outreach team, the position requires an ability to work geographically separate from the rest of the team, as well as an ability to manage one’s time responsibly.
- A strong interest in technology and existential risk.
- Interested in the power and potential of social media.
- A bachelor’s degree (or due to receive one in Summer 2021).
- Previous experience managing at least one of the following social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit and Instagram.
- Strong interest in one or more of the following domains: artificial intelligence, biotechnology, nuclear weapons, lethal autonomous weapons, climate change, global catastrophic and existential risk.
- Additional language proficiency, especially Spanish and Portuguese.
Stage 1: Access this application form and respond to the following prompts (max 500 words per answer):
- What do you think about existential risk?
- What’s one thing you think FLI could be doing better on its Twitter page?
Stage 2: If we are interested in pursuing your application, we will provide you with a short writing task.
Stage 3: If you perform well in the written task, you will be called for an interview.
Deadline: 18th June, 23.59 GMT, with rolling applications thereafter until the role is filled.
Questions or concerns may be directed to email@example.com