A number of major mid-year MIRI updates: we received our largest donation to date, $1.01 million from an Ethereum investor! Our research priorities have also shifted somewhat, reflecting the addition of four new full-time researchers (Marcello Herreshoff, Sam Eisenstat, Tsvi Benson-Tilsen, and Abram Demski) and the departure of Patrick LaVictoire and Jessica Taylor.Research updates
- New at IAFF: Futarchy Fix, Cooperative Oracles: Stratified Pareto Optima and Almost Stratified Pareto Optima
- New at AI Impacts: Some Survey Results!, AI Hopes and Fears in Numbers
- We attended the Effective Altruism Global Boston event. Speakers included Allan Dafoe on “The AI Revolution and International Politics” (video) and Jason Matheny on “Effective Altruism in Government” (video).
- MIRI COO Malo Bourgon moderated an IEEE workshop revising a section from Ethically Aligned Design.
News and links
- New from DeepMind researchers: “Interpreting Deep Neural Networks Using Cognitive Psychology“
- New from OpenAI researchers: “Corrigibility“
- A collaboration between DeepMind and OpenAI: “Learning from Human Preferences“
- Recent progress in deep learning: “Self-Normalizing Neural Networks“
- From Ian Goodfellow and Nicolas Papernot: “The Challenge of Verification and Testing of Machine Learning“
- From 80,000 Hours: a guide to working in AI policy and strategy and a related interview with Miles Brundage of the Future of Humanity Institute.