National and International AI Strategies
Below is a list of countries and international organizations that have established strategies and initiatives regarding artificial intelligence. You can find a collection of AI resources for further reading here, and an overview of AI policy challenges and recommendations here.
This page is a work in progress and will continue to be updated. If you have feedback or information about national or international AI developments that should be included here, please send a short description to email@example.com.
- European Union: There is a European AI Alliance that has established an overarching approach to AI and an agreement to cooperate among European countries.
- Nordic-Baltic Region: Ministers from the Nordic-Baltic region issued a declaration of collaboration on AI.
- United Nations: The UN has numerous ongoing initiatives related to AI including providing guidance on data privacy and on autonomous weapons.
- AI Agreement Between UAE and India: The UAE Minister for AI and Invest India signed a Memorandum of Understanding to establish a partnership.
- International Study Group of Artificial Intelligence: France and Canada are developing a task force to make recommendations on the scope and implementation of the international study group.
- Charlevoix Common Vision for the Future of Artificial Intelligence: Leaders of the G7 agreed to a shared set of commitments for AI in Charlevoix, Canada.
- Argentina: The Argentinian ministry of education, culture, science and technology is developing a national AI plan.
- Australia: Australia has dedicated $29.9 million in the country’s annual budget to promote and guide the development of AI.
- Austria: Austria has an advisory Robot Council that is developing a national AI strategy.
- Brazil: Brazil is creating eight AI laboratories and has adopted the OECD AI Principles.
- Canada: Canada has a national AI strategy called the Pan-Canadian Artificial Intelligence Strategy.
- Chile: Chile created an expert committee that is developing a National AI Policy.
- China: China has a national AI strategy, defined under the “New Generation Artificial Intelligence Development Plan.”
- Denmark: Denmark has a digital strategy that includes a focus on AI along with other technologies.
- Estonia: Estonia is developing a legal framework for the use of AI in its country, including a bill on AI liability.
- Finland: Finland has an Artificial Intelligence Programme guided by a steering group under the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment.
- France: France has a national strategy for AI called “AI for Humanity,” which is outlined in the “Villani Report”.
- Germany: The German Government adopted its Artificial Intelligence Strategy in November 2018.
- India: India defined a national policy on AI in a working paper titled, “National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence #AIforAll.”
- Ireland: The Irish government has hosted AI workshops and launched a national AI Masters program.
- Italy: Italy has an interdisciplinary AI Task Force launched by the Agency for Digital Italy.
- Japan: Japan has an “Artificial Intelligence Technology Strategy” and has also included AI in its “integrated innovation strategy.”
- Kenya: The Kenyan government created a Blockchain & Artificial Intelligence task force.
- Lithuania: The Lithuanian Artificial Intelligence Strategy was released April 2019.
- Malaysia: The Malaysian government is developing a National Artificial Intelligence Framework, and establishing Digital Transformation Labs.
- Mexico: The Mexican government supported the creation of the white paper, “Towards an AI Strategy in Mexico: Harnessing the AI Revolution.”
- New Zealand: New Zealand has an AI Forum to connect and advance the country’s AI ecosystem.
- Russia: The President of the Russian Federation released a national AI strategy in October 2019.
- Saudi Arabia: Saudi Arabia was the first country to grant citizenship to a robot.
- Singapore: Singapore has a national AI program called AI Singapore and is establishing an AI ethics advisory council.
- South Korea: South Korea has an Artificial Intelligence Information Industry Development Strategy.
- Spain: Spain published an AI RDI strategy March 2019.
- Sweden: The Swedish government has released a “National Approach for Artificial Intelligence.”
- Tunisia: Tunisia has created an AI Task Force and Steering Committee to develop a national AI strategy.
- United Arab Emirates: The UAE has a national strategy for AI and was the first country to name an AI Minister.
- United States of America: The US launched the American AI Initiative February 2019.
- United Kingdom: The UK government launched a Sector Deal for AI to advance the UK’s ambitions in AI consistent with its Industrial Strategy, and taking into account the advice of the Parliament’s Select Committee on AI.
- Uruguay: Uruguay’s industry, mining and energy ministry launched a public consultation of Artificial Intelligence for the Digital Government in April 2019 and is developing a strategy based upon its findings.