National and International AI Strategies
Below is a list of dozens of countries and international organizations that have established strategies and initiatives regarding artificial intelligence. You can find a collection of AI resources for further reading here, and an overview of AI policy challenges and recommendations here.
This page is a work in progress and will continue to be updated as feasible, but should be understood as providing snapshot summaries of some of the AI policy developments around the world rather than a complete and comprehensive overview. If you have feedback or information about national or international AI developments that should be included here, please send a short description to email@example.com.
As of February 2020, there is also extensive information, data, and graphics about global AI policy available at the OECD AI Policy Observatory.
- European Union: There is a European AI Alliance that has established an overarching approach to AI and an agreement to cooperate among European countries.
- Nordic-Baltic Region: Ministers from the Nordic-Baltic region issued a declaration of collaboration on AI.
- United Nations: The UN has numerous ongoing initiatives related to AI including providing guidance on data privacy and on autonomous weapons.
- AI Agreement Between UAE and India: The UAE Minister for AI and Invest India signed a Memorandum of Understanding to establish a partnership.
- International Study Group of Artificial Intelligence: France and Canada are developing a task force to make recommendations on the scope and implementation of the international study group.
- Charlevoix Common Vision for the Future of Artificial Intelligence: Leaders of the G7 agreed to a shared set of commitments for AI in Charlevoix, Canada.
- Argentina: The Argentinian ministry of education, culture, science and technology is developing a national AI plan.
- Australia: Australia has dedicated $29.9 million in the country’s annual budget to promote and guide the development of AI.
- Austria: Austria has an advisory Robot Council that is developing a national AI strategy.
- Brazil: Brazil is creating eight AI laboratories and has adopted the OECD AI Principles.
- Canada: Canada has a national AI strategy called the Pan-Canadian Artificial Intelligence Strategy.
- Chile: Chile created an expert committee that is developing a National AI Policy.
- China: China has a national AI strategy, defined under the “New Generation Artificial Intelligence Development Plan.”
- Denmark: Denmark has a digital strategy that includes a focus on AI along with other technologies.
- Estonia: Estonia is developing a legal framework for the use of AI in its country, including a bill on AI liability.
- Finland: Finland has an Artificial Intelligence Programme guided by a steering group under the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment.
- France: France has a national strategy for AI called “AI for Humanity,” which is outlined in the “Villani Report”.
- Germany: The German Government adopted its Artificial Intelligence Strategy in November 2018.
- India: India defined a national policy on AI in a working paper titled, “National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence #AIforAll.”
- Ireland: The Irish government has hosted AI workshops and launched a national AI Masters program.
- Italy: Italy has an interdisciplinary AI Task Force launched by the Agency for Digital Italy.
- Japan: Japan has an “Artificial Intelligence Technology Strategy” and has also included AI in its “integrated innovation strategy.”
- Kenya: The Kenyan government created a Blockchain & Artificial Intelligence task force.
- Lithuania: The Lithuanian Artificial Intelligence Strategy was released April 2019.
- Malaysia: The Malaysian government is developing a National Artificial Intelligence Framework, and establishing Digital Transformation Labs.
- Mexico: The Mexican government supported the creation of the white paper, “Towards an AI Strategy in Mexico: Harnessing the AI Revolution.”
- Netherlands: The Netherlands launched the Strategic Action Plan for Artificial Intelligence in October 2019.
- New Zealand: New Zealand has an AI Forum to connect and advance the country’s AI ecosystem.
- Norway: Norway published a National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence in January 2020.
- Poland: Poland launched the Artificial Intelligence Development Policy in Poland for 2019–2027.
- Russia: The President of the Russian Federation released a national AI strategy in October 2019.
- Saudi Arabia: Saudi Arabia established a government agency called the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority in August 2019.
- Serbia: The Government of the Republic of Serbia adopted the Strategy for the Development of Artificial Intelligence in the Republic of Serbia.
- Singapore: Singapore launched a National AI Strategy in November 2019 and has a national AI program called AI Singapore.
- South Korea: South Korea has an Artificial Intelligence Information Industry Development Strategy.
- Spain: Spain published an AI RDI strategy March 2019.
- Sweden: The Swedish government has released a “National Approach for Artificial Intelligence.”
- Tunisia: Tunisia has created an AI Task Force and Steering Committee to develop a national AI strategy.
- United Arab Emirates: The UAE has a national strategy for AI and was the first country to name an AI Minister.
- United States of America: The US launched the American AI Initiative February 2019.
- United Kingdom: The UK government launched a Sector Deal for AI to advance the UK’s ambitions in AI consistent with its Industrial Strategy, and taking into account the advice of the Parliament’s Select Committee on AI.
- Uruguay: Uruguay’s industry, mining and energy ministry launched a public consultation of Artificial Intelligence for the Digital Government in April 2019 and is developing a strategy based upon its findings.